Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Administrator <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:37:05 +0100
On Wednesday 26 Aug 2009, Joe Harmon wrote:
I think this is just causing more issues than it is "supposed" to be trying
to resolve.

I think this illustrates something important - that the discussion (read
argument) isn't about default DE, but about something else. Until that
something else is brought into the open and discussed directly rather than by
proxy then the "issue" will remain and keep coming up whenever there is a
choice between KDE & Gnome.

Not discussing issues because of the emotion involved is an easy path to
divorce.

I have no axe to grind on this - I use KDE on desktop machines because I'm
familiar with it. I have interoperability issues with some software, which
irritates me. I use Gnome on servers - I don't remember why - probably
because some key piece of software only ran acceptably on Gnome at the time
several years ago when I set up the first server. I'm also using XFCE on a
development machine because it's lightweight. I use WinXP & Vista & MacOSX
also.

I tend to set up new users in KDE because I can make them comfortable with it
quicker. I tell them there are other DEs and may show them images, but few
change. Most people just aren't interested. They just want it easy to use.

David