Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:15:13 +0200
On Tuesday 25 August 2009 13:07:50 Michael Meeks wrote:
[...]
How about actually sketching out what this really means, if indeed it
means anything at all, to re-assure the GNOME guys that this is not the
very unsubtle end of a big wedge to squeeze them out, and make their
(already un-necessarily unpleasant) experience of openSUSE advocacy
worse.

As an example, can you give any assurances around my concerns about
conferences - presenting both desktops equally eg. ? providing live-CD
media instead of DVDs - so GNOME advocates don't have to hand out
default-KDE-installs left and right ? other trivial examples might be
boxed set screenshots (if the boxed set rides again), printed marketing
materials etc. We have one prominent area where they are not treated
equally - I assume the plan is to spread that aggressively to other
areas - can you reassure ?

Michael, I understand some of your concerns, others become ridiculous for me.

Let me state how I understand that openSUSE has both GNOME and KDE as equal
citizens in the project:
Basically there's no change, so we continue to show both GNOME and KDE if the
booth is large enough. And if choose to go to a local event with just one
laptop and represent the project, it's your choice which desktop you show - as
today!

We have a Promo-DVD that has both desktops on it and right now do not plan to
produce CDs with just one desktop.

Btw. the screenshots in the openSUSE 11.1 manual show normally the GNOME
desktop and YaST Gtk and that will not change with openSUSE 11.2, we're not
redoing the screenshots because of Michael's announcement. I would be
interested in a fair solution for the screenshots of the manual (no, I don't
want two Admin-Handbooks). IMO we can continue also with the status quo. I
don't think we need to like other products and show only one desktop
everywhere.

Let me reconfirm and give my word that we do not plan to get rid of GNOME at
all, if we would have planned that, we would considered not only not sorting
the desktop selection alphabetically (giving GNOME the prominent first place)
but removing the dialog completely to make it harder to install GNOME (right
now the change means not a single click more or less for a GNOME install!).

I'm sad that we have to discuss these details at all :-(
Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany