Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:11:14 -0400
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Michael Meeks<michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As an example, can you give any assurances around my concerns about
conferences - presenting both desktops equally eg. ? providing live-CD
media instead of DVDs - so GNOME advocates don't have to hand out
default-KDE-installs left and right ? other trivial examples might be
boxed set screenshots (if the boxed set rides again), printed marketing
materials etc. We have one prominent area where they are not treated
equally - I assume the plan is to spread that aggressively to other
areas - can you reassure ?

As for marketing materials in general -- you have no cause for
concern. As was said repeatedly in the initial discussions, the
decision was about and only about the one thing, and did not indicate
that openSUSE would be abandoning equal support for the desktop in any
area.

The DVDs contain both live CDs. We have, so far, only produced one
media for handouts: 32-bit DVDs with the Live CDs on them.

I'm open to producing live CDs with the 11.2 batch, but that depends
greatly on a number of factors, and if we go that route I'll make
every effort to ensure we have enough CDs of each type to meet demand.

As for balance at shows, in materials, etc. -- anything that we're
producing out of my budget will be balanced. I've been very conscious
of making sure we show both desktops off when we're at events. In
general, any "official" shows, we should be demo'ing both GNOME and
KDE, and in the future Moblin as well.

Best,

Zonker
--