Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Decision making transparency ...
  • From: "Joe Harmon" <jharmon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:32:27 -0600
On 8/26/2009 at 03:54 AM, Administrator <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I don;t think there's anything in this decision which says that one or the
other DE is "more important" - the default is to do with convenience during
install, not importance.

If this were truly the reason for the change then I believe that the community
would have been more open to other ways of addressing this. It is obvious by
the reactions and the tensions that this has caused that this decision was made
for more than just that reason. I hear more people complaining about this
decision then I ever hear anyone complain about not having a default desktop
selected and I supported the desktop for 5 years. In fact, in that time I can
remember one person that told me we should have a default desktop. Even then he
didn't express a preference. Other than that what I usually received (and this
was only a handful of times) was a question about what desktop to use. I loved
being able to tell the customer that it didn't matter. That we supported both
equally and that there were benefits and strengths in both. So I am sorry but
with my years of experience in supporting the desktop I don't see how this is
possibly resolving this issue.

Let me just ask one thing. If we were talking about having GNOME be the default
as a resolution to this issue, would the KDE supporters be taking the same
stance? I don't think that they would. I think the argument to keep it as not
selected and provide the customer with a better option to make a choice. Don't
get me wrong. I am not saying make GNOME the default selection either. I am
just saying, try and put yourself in their shoes and see if you really feel the
same way if the decision was reversed. I think this is just causing more issues
than it is "supposed" to be trying to resolve.