[opensuse-project] Re: Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:29:03 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:21:37 +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Sven Burmeister wrote:
I think you missed the point. I was talking about perception of
decisions and not how they actually come about. I may repeat myself:
"If people inside and outside the community do not see openSUSE and SLE
as mostly unrelated, then this question is surely not a distraction but
crucial to understand how decisions regarding any Novell product or
investment are perceived by others and hence their impact on the
discussions lead in the community."

Yes, and perception is not going to change and match reality as long as
SUSE Linux Enterprise is being dragged onto the scene. :-)

I do tend to agree that SLE *shouldn't* be dragged into the discussion,
but my impression of the earlier discussion was that that was a large
part of the reason the KDE devs who participated were saying (at least in
part) openSUSE needs to make KDE the default desktop in the installer -
because SLE makes GNOME the default desktop, and the message they were
getting from Novell was that GNOME was more important *because* of the
decision of the default selection in SLE.

This is something I tried to highlight when I said that SLE is a
*different* distribution, and I didn't really feel that that particular
logic made any sense, because SLE is a derived distribution from openSUSE.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson