Re: [opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:03:47 +0200
Am Dienstag, 25. August 2009 17:21:37 schrieb Gerald Pfeifer:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Sven Burmeister wrote:
I think you missed the point. I was talking about perception of decisions
and not how they actually come about. I may repeat myself: "If people
inside and outside the community do not see openSUSE and SLE as
mostly unrelated, then this question is surely not a distraction but
crucial to understand how decisions regarding any Novell product or
investment are perceived by others and hence their impact on the
discussions lead in the community."

Yes, and perception is not going to change and match reality as long as
SUSE Linux Enterprise is being dragged onto the scene. :-)

Ok, so you think perception is different to what Novell claims. That's a first
step, i.e. to acknowledge that there is a gap.

(Hence I would claim that this question and asking about SUSE Linux
Enterprise in the context of the openSUSE desktop discussion _are_ a
distraction.)

Nope, just not ignoring reality. The current perception is reality just not
necessarily the one Novell likes and you want to change that by ignoring it.

I agree that Novell would like to have those products seen as independent, yet
to hush up the current state is not going to change anything but creating a
mindset within Novell which does not necessarily correspond with how Novell is
seen from the outside which in turn can be quite dangerous when it comes to
decision making based on that mindset.

In fact, trying to change perception by not talking about it will, as in
politics, always end in a huge blow, i.e. the point where reality hits
phantasy.

But I take your point, according to you, if one does not mention SLE within
the opensuse community the outside will follow that lead and think that they
are separate as well. I guess only time will tell whether that works.

Sven