Re: [opensuse-project] Report #1 OpenSUSE LTS/openSLE (Long summary)
  • From: Jason Perlow <jperlow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:41:32 -0400
I'm really glad you are doing this, and this is actually the reason
why I joined the list.

Originally I proposed the idea of doing "CentOS Green" to the centos
guys a bit back but they tabled the idea. Dag Wieers (rpmforge guy)
was the guy who was interested but he didn't have the right
introductions to the SUSE community as he was a Red Hat-oriented guy.
Now that Dag is no longer involved in CentOS I think would be a good
time to bring him in, because this will need dedicated resources to
work on it or at least a bunch of volunteers with a vested interest in
the project.

From a wishful thinking perspective I would like to see a full-blown
openSLES based on SLE source. But I agree, this might antagonize
Novell if it was under the auspices of openSUSE and would have to be
spun off as a separate entity from openSUSE if that direction were to
be pursued -- which is why I was originally thinking the CentOS guys.
We could form a new home for it, but there is a lot of startup
infrastructure that would be needed.

I think the desired approach would be to continue alignment with
openSUSE as a openSUSE/Novell sponsored "flavor" of openSUSE, using
openSUSE packages, however matching functionality on a
package-by-package basis with SLE, although not necessarily the same
package versions, we would use the openSUSE packages. I think an "LTS
openSUSE Server" makes sense, something with a 24 or 36 month support
lifecycle.

I also think that "openSUSE Server Edition" has a lot of potential if
we use SUSE Studio as the basis for compiling the distro, with some
sort of permanent download area. This would serve as a good "demo" of
SUSE Studio for Novell's marketing purposes and ensure their support
for the project.