Re: [opensuse-project] openFATE feature #307495: GNOME default
  • From: Jason Perlow <jperlow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:16:41 -0400
Joe I do think that users need a choice, and a default is required,
but whatever default that needs to be made needs to occur based on
empirical data. That's why I am suggesting statistics gathering as a
way to help you arrive at that decision, and to continue to inject
valuable data into the deicision making process.

Until that data is collected and fully understood, I suggest that the
"delault" choice be generated at random on each installation, with the
first and second place positioning also generated at random.
Psychologically I am not sure what the behavior of the user will be if
KDE is always first on the list and GNOME is always second, regardless
of which one is selected by default.