Re: [opensuse-project] Creating a group of conserned Users and Novell partners/longer life time for openSUSE... (LONG POST)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:25:21 +0200
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

I have brought up several things from my experiences with
clients/customers. One complaint was that openSUSE was only supported
for 24 months. They want the OS to be just a tool that they can use
without a lot of effort or knowledge. They want to run their
businesses to make money. They do not want to worry about OS.

Why are they worried about support? I have just this weekend been
migrating a few things off an ancient 8.2 system. It'll quite likely
still be running for a few months, but SuSE Linux 8.2 is about 6 years
old, and it's been running fine without any kind of Novell support.

They then brought up the various LTS OS's and asked if openSUSE had
one. Of course the answer was no. Problem is that their is nothing
like CentOS for Novell's offerings.

Boyd, if your customers really do not want to worry about the OS, they
sure are asking the wrong questions. Those questions have been put
into their minds by somebody else, I suspect. It's called FUD.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich