Re: [opensuse-project] Unable to Install cause of too old drivers, due to long release cycles
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:10:24 +0200
Lars Steen wrote:

Per Jessen schrieb:
Lars Steen wrote:

To describe the new boards:
Intel DQ43AP with a Q43 Express Chipset.

...and there's no mention of that chipset.

Exact, that's why I started this thread.

Like Mark suggested, I think you need to try the latest 11.2
Milestone. I think those graphics chipsets may be too new for
openSUSE 11.1.
Correct, a new release will fix the problem.
What I tried to say in my post's are:
such an "issue" might happen in the future more often, because
The release cycles of hardware are getting shorter, but the releases
of distro's are not. Every distro has such problem.

Most hardware+BIOS will have a compatibility mode of some sort. E.g. for
graphics, if the chipset is not directly supported with its own
drivers, VESA mode is the fall-back. Something similar goes for lots
of disk drivers. I also know of cases where the fall-back mode didn't
work, but in general it does.

In the case of openSuSE the release cycles had become one of the
longest, while such a problem might grow in the userfield.

Many users actually appreciate a longer release-cycle. To support new
hardware, you have intermediate upgrades.

I wanted to start a discussion how the community, which openSuSE is
just a part of, can keep up with the hardware industry.

Without the support of the hardware industry, only with great
difficulty.

My idea was that not the whole distro has shorter releases, but only
the "Kernel and Driver's for booting".

Intermediate upgrades is the answer. It won't necessarily work for a
fresh install of software that is older than the latest hardware, but
the same applies to any other operating system on the market.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich