Re: [opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: "Kevin \"Yeaux\" Dupuy" <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:58:33 -0500
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Michael Loeffler<michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

the topic of a "default desktop" was raised in July as a feature[1] in our
openFATE feature tracking system by a community member, and it was a subject
of a lively debate within openFATE and on the openSUSE Project mailing
list[2]. The default desktop is an issue that many openSUSE users and
contributors are passionate about.

After consideration of the project discussion I discussed the feature request
further with the openSUSE Board and other leaders within the openSUSE project
and came to the decision to follow the request: we will default the radio
button to KDE in the DVD installer. Therefore, with openSUSE 11.2 release, the
KDE desktop will be installed if the user accepts the default setting. Users
can also choose the GNOME desktop at this stage.

We want to make clear that both desktops are considered equal citizens within
the openSUSE Project, and this will not have any impact on the quality of the
GNOME desktop within openSUSE. GNOME will continue to be offered as a top-
level installation choice, and we will continue to strive to provide the best
GNOME and KDE desktop experience.

Thanks to everyone for conducting the conversation in a professional and
courteous manner and for the quality of feedback we've received. This shows
the strength of our community, and it's good to know we can address the tough
issues head on and remain focused on the project goals.

Obviously this was a heated issue, and I've already stated what I
believe is the best option for the community in those earlier threads.
Now, I think that the decision that has been made is not to the
benefit of the community at whole but to a minority of the KDE
contributors who for some reason feel as though they were wronged in
the past for some reason that has never been fully explained.

"Actions are louder than words"

We can scream from the hills that KDE and GNOME are equally as high
quality and respected choices in our products, but now, our actions
don't reflect it. We're telling new users that "KDE and GNOME are just
as good (but you'll really want KDE, you know?)" How should that feel
to members of the community who work on GNOME, or people like me who
are only involved in the project because of the high-quality GNOME
desktop?

In my relatively humble opinion, this was a counter-productive
decision for the Project.
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy
openSUSE Project Member