Re: [opensuse-project] More Statistics
  • From: alpha096@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 20:33:22 +1000

Stephan Kulow wrote:
Hi,

I updated my scripts to rescan the last 8 weeks of apache logs for 11.2 data
(it took less than 3 days - we're talking 15G of compressed apache that needs
to be evaluated and my poor workstation is doing alot of other stuff :)

http://en.opensuse.org/Statistics now has preliminary 11.2 data (I will reset
them when 11.2 is out, for now the goal is to test the statistics - I found
already smaller problems caused by aria2c now having a longer user agent)

Anyway, what we see is that there are around 1000 new factory installations
per week and that's great - we can assume some do fresh installations into
VMs, but the number still indicates a lot of factory users.

And 11.1 is still growing, which is also good - as 11.2 will still take some
time (and that will also mean that many will not switch to 11.2 as they just
found the time to update to 11.1 :)

Steve, the download statistics from download.opensuse.org is obviously a
huge amount of data to go through for unique IP's.
It must be a hugely difficult task as you have indicated, and I would
think that the presence of any company using NAT'ed internal IP's would
have an unknown impact.

Just querulous, when a KDE install registers for its first update
servers to be assigned, the contact and
assignment is made by [Contacting Novell's Servers? - Please wait]. Also
caries the hardware profile etc. and any Novel Registration if any.
And with a Gnome install it goes to smolt.

Do we get any other useful stats from Novell for KDE and SMOLT for Gnome
that we could also use. What do we do with the hardware profile also
transmitted?

I only ask and I have no idea, and have not found out anyone who does know.

Just thought this may be able to provide more user data for kde/gnome
installs and also included NAT'ed IP downloads. There is normally only
one contact made with Novell Servers for update assignment repos???

Do we learn anything from Hardware Profile info's from Novell Servers
also????

Scott

But http://ktown.kde.org/~coolo/repos.png implies that the 11.1 hype is over,
we reached again a limit we had before the 11.1 release of IPs accessing our
servers (every IP counts only counts once for the oldest product). Then
again,
the traffic always goes down in summers (both the nothern and the southern
hemisphere summer - some call the second summer christmas, but that is
politically incorrect I guess :)

The week in march when download.o.o was down (and I miss 60 hours of logs),
had only half the IPs, so this is a neat reminder that dialup users make it
impossible to guess how many users there are. We see on average 5 IPs pro
cookie. So there are between 80.000 and 1.000.000 11.1 users - any more
concrete number is only a guess I'm afraid.

http://jspaleta.livejournal.com/42464.html claims their user base is 115%
of the sum of total IPs for fedora. That again would give you 6,5 Million
openSUSE 11.1 users and 9,2 Million users of 11.0 -

And live cds are still a mistery - in 8 weeks there were only 9 live
installations found, but that maybe because people do not do updates
in these live installations. I have no other explanation atm, but that
mistery is the reason I do this 11.2 logs parsing that early.

Greetings, Stephan