Re: [opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Charles Kerr <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:48:17 -0500
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Michael Loeffler<michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

After consideration of the project discussion I discussed the feature request
further with the openSUSE Board and other leaders within the openSUSE project
and came to the decision to follow the request: we will default the radio
button to KDE in the DVD installer. Therefore, with openSUSE 11.2 release, the
KDE desktop will be installed if the user accepts the default setting. Users
can also choose the GNOME desktop at this stage.

http://www.h-online.com/open/openSUSE-to-default-to-KDE--/news/114050
is reporting on this decision in the following way:

"From openSUSE 11.2 onwards, the installation
process from DVD will offer a choice between KDE
and GNOME, with KDE pre-selected."

Lubos blogged about it this way:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4052

"If GNOME one day becomes more popular in
openSUSE than KDE, it becomes the default.
As simple as that."

Which of these statements is a correct interpretation of
the decision? Making this clear and upfront now may save
some frustration later on.

cheers,
Charle