Re: [opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:02:30 +0530
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Michael Loeffler<michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

the topic of a "default desktop" was raised in July as a feature[1] in our
openFATE feature tracking system by a community member, and it was a subject
of a lively debate within openFATE and on the openSUSE Project mailing
list[2]. The default desktop is an issue that many openSUSE users and
contributors are passionate about.

After consideration of the project discussion I discussed the feature request
further with the openSUSE Board and other leaders within the openSUSE project
and came to the decision to follow the request: we will default the radio
button to KDE in the DVD installer. Therefore, with openSUSE 11.2 release, the
KDE desktop will be installed if the user accepts the default setting. Users
can also choose the GNOME desktop at this stage.

We want to make clear that both desktops are considered equal citizens within
the openSUSE Project, and this will not have any impact on the quality of the
GNOME desktop within openSUSE. GNOME will continue to be offered as a top-
level installation choice, and we will continue to strive to provide the best
GNOME and KDE desktop experience.

Thanks to everyone for conducting the conversation in a professional and
courteous manner and for the quality of feedback we've received. This shows
the strength of our community, and it's good to know we can address the tough
issues head on and remain focused on the project goals.

Really are you sure about the words "quality of feedback" ? May be I
have wrong definitions for these words ;-)

"strength of the community" ? - "Strength of the individual
sub-communities" is more correct ;)

What is wrong with the suggestion someone made, "Show screenshots of
the two desktops"

Even if you choose, "KDE as the default", What is wrong in showing
the screenshots of the two desktops, so that a completely un-informed
new user coming from windows, can choose whichever desktop that
appeals to him ?

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com