[opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-announce] Change in maintenance for openSUSE 11.2 and future versions
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:05:50 +0200
Hi,

Am 14.08.2009 14:03, schrieb Michael Loeffler:

with regards to the discontinuation mail for openSUSE 10.3 [1] sent out by
Marcus the other day I'd like to clarify the changes in the maintenance
period
of openSUSE.

openSUSE will shorten the maintenance period to 2 versions plus 2 months
which translates with the current release cycle of 8 months to 18 months
instead of 24 months we had with openSUSE 11.1 and previous releases.

With that we now can guarantee an overlap time from a maintenance perspective
which gives enough time to update machines to newer versions.

I'm a bit nit picking now but anyway.

"openSUSE(1) will shorten the maintenance period"

That should hopefully mean:
Novell is stopping its work on openSUSE 11.2 and above after 18 months.
The openSUSE community can come up with contributions to expand the
lifecycle of the distribution. Novell will fully handover the update
process to the community after the 18 months timespan.
However the currently official maintenance period is limited to the 18
months guaranteed by Novell.

What about this statement? Is that something openSUSE(2) could imagine?

(1) openSUSE = Novell
(2) openSUSE = the community project

Wolfgang