Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-announce] Creating a group of conserned Users and Novell partners/longer life time for openSUSE... (LONG POST)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:53:20 +0200
Peter Albrecht wrote:

4. "Tired of hearing we do this for fun, it is not my
problem/responsibility, hire a programmer or become one." "Fix it
yourself as it is a community distro. The community is not doing
enough or is too small." What happens is or feels like the various
groups that are part of the community are not fully trusted. What I
see/feel/hear is that globally the openSUSE distro is moving to the
bottom of the Linux Distro Heap. I am being asked to move to CentOS
as it has a longer support window. "Having to update my OS every 2
years is a real pain in the butt! Now it is moving to a 18 month
window. I really need to look at something else that meets my needs"
Business like to stay as long as they are able to the release. "If
it aint broke don't fix it!" "We really need a fall back position.
What are your recommendations?
Doesn't Novell realize who pays their salaries? What about Ubunto,
Debian, Fedora/CentOS, or Solaris, BSDs?"

My question is: Why don't these customers move to SUSE Linux
Enterprise (Server and Desktop)? Is that EUR 300.00 per year an amount
they do not want to pay for getting 7 years of support, updates and
training? Don't they want to pay additional money for the services?
Are they not happy with the services offered by Novell or with the way
Novell treats them?

That's exactly what I thought too when I read Boyds item#4.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich