[opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-announce] Creating a group of conserned Users and Novell partners/longer life time for openSUSE... (LONG POST)
  • From: Peter Albrecht <peter.albrecht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:18:28 +0200
Hi Boyd,

The thought is that a possible out come of this group maybe an openSLE
which would be like this model

fedora->centos->RHEL

but for SUSE
-SLES
openSUSE->openSLE->SLE-|
-SLED

Personally, I really like this idea because there have been so many
discussions on why such a product is not available for SUSE Linux.

4. "Tired of hearing we do this for fun, it is not my
problem/responsibility, hire a programmer or become one." "Fix it
yourself as it is a community distro. The community is not doing enough
or is too small." What happens is or feels like the various groups that
are part of the community are not fully trusted. What I see/feel/hear is
that globally the openSUSE distro is moving to the bottom of the Linux
Distro Heap. I am being asked to move to CentOS as it has a longer
support window. "Having to update my OS every 2 years is a real pain in
the butt! Now it is moving to a 18 month window. I really need to look
at something else that meets my needs" Business like to stay as long as
they are able to the release. "If it aint broke don't fix it!" "We
really need a fall back position. What are your recommendations?
Doesn't Novell realize who pays their salaries? What about Ubunto,
Debian, Fedora/CentOS, or Solaris, BSDs?"

My question is: Why don't these customers move to SUSE Linux Enterprise
(Server and Desktop)? Is that EUR 300.00 per year an amount they do not
want to pay for getting 7 years of support, updates and training? Don't
they want to pay additional money for the services? Are they not happy
with the services offered by Novell or with the way Novell treats them?

If it's just the services and the way Novell treats them, well, that's the
chance for other (smaller) companies to provide these services for their
customers.

To make it short: I would be interested in getting involved in this
discussion.

Thank you,

Peter

--
Peter Albrecht Tel: +49-(0)-89-287793-83
Open Source School GmbH Mob: +49-(0)-173-3528664

HRB 172645 - Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Peter Albrecht, Dr. Markus Wirtz