Re: [opensuse-project] Disappointed in last Weekly news.
  • From: Satoru Matsumoto <helios_reds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:43:18 +0900

Hi Dean,

Dean Hilkewich wrote:
Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
Dean,

You are very much overexpecting and looking for answers too quickly.

First of all, Weekly news is written by the community. It is not some
"official" publication from Novell. So, if you're upset that community
didn't report anything on the debate, basically, you're upset with
yourself because you are part of the same community that writes the
Weekly News and you were free to submit an article if you felt it was
relevant to the debate.

Never said it was put out by Novell, nor do I expect Novell to publish
in the newsletter. I do however expect status updates on pressing
issues from an official body.

Basically, your opinions and suggestions on Weekly News are always
appreciated.

However, I'd like to explain the concepts of Weekly News and how the
articles are collected.

One of our most important concepts is, "In any large community there
will often be opposing views and our Newsletter's role is to report on
these, rather than to judge them" as mentioned in "OpenSUSE Weekly
News/Guidelines", that is, being as neutral as possible.

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/Guidelines

Our prior and main news sources are Planet SUSE and lizards.o.o. We also
pick up items from mailing lists and forums as needed, but you know,
there are so many posts and entries on whole lists and forums so that we
can't follow all of them in detail, and in addition, most of the posts
on lists are just 'pieces of discussion'.

Of cource we know there's a discussion on 'default desktop for openSUSE'
which is going on and have already introduced the related blog entry by
Zonker in issue 82.

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/82#Planet_SUSE

However, as far as I know, there's no summary for this discussion ATM
yet and I understand the status is 'waiting for the post by Michael'.

If you find some blog entries or online articles in which this
discussion is well-summarized and - hopefully - neutrally explained, or
simply you've wrote a blog entry for that by yourself, please tell us.
We always welcome such notifications. ;-)

Note, above are just my point of view and not the 'official statement by
Weekly News Team'. I hope you will tune in to Weekly News Team and help
improving OUR newsletter. ;-)

Best,

- --
_/_/ Satoru Matsumoto - openSUSE Member - Japan _/_/
_/_/ Marketing/Weekly News/openFATE Screening Team _/_/
_/_/ mail: helios_reds_at_gmx.net / irc: HeliosReds _/_/
_/_/ http://blog.geeko.jp/author/heliosreds _/_/