Re: [opensuse-project] Disappointed in last Weekly news.
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:13:40 -0600
Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
Dean,

You are very much overexpecting and looking for answers too quickly.

First of all, Weekly news is written by the community. It is not some
"official" publication from Novell. So, if you're upset that community
didn't report anything on the debate, basically, you're upset with
yourself because you are part of the same community that writes the
Weekly News and you were free to submit an article if you felt it was
relevant to the debate.

Never said it was put out by Novell, nor do I expect Novell to publish
in the newsletter. I do however expect status updates on pressing
issues from an official body.

Second of all, let's look at the date here. It is August 15th, middle
of the month. This debate started about two weeks ago (give or take a
day or so.) Slow down, kid! Give the decision-makers a chance to
digest what has been said on both sides of the debate and come up with a
sane decision. I mean, seriously! 11.2 isn't coming out until
November. The huge amount of mail pumped into the several threads on
this subject have slowed many of us down in attempting to read what has
been said.

Great update. Now would that have been so hard to put into the newsletter?
Third of all, a decision will be coming soon enough. I know it is being
actively looked at. But baseless accusations such as "hoping that the
issue will disappear" is precisely what slows down the decision-making
process. This debate has had many good points made on both sides, but
it has also been fraught with conjecture, wild assumptions, and baseless
accusations that have detracted from the main issue itself. How you
managed to interpret a debate that has only started 2 weeks ago into
"shh, let's hope people forget about it" is beyond me and is a
disservice to the very proposal that sparked this debate. This topic is
foremost in many people's minds and NO ONE is attempting to avoid the
issue.

I wouldn't say it's baseless as features are closed on openFATE all the
time because they are deemed not important enough and there has been
literally thousands of bugzilla report that have been put off into never
neverland and never brought through to the next release. They are
killed with reasons like "not enough time" or "too late in development
cycle" instead of being brought forth to the next release.

Dean