Re: [opensuse-project] Disappointed in last Weekly news.
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:54:18 -0500
On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 15:36 -0600, Dean Hilkewich wrote:
After looking though the weekly news, I do have to say that I am
disappointed that no status, comments, etc have been given on the 'KDE
as default' issue. This after all the number one openfate item and the
lack of updates from the team is concerning to say the least. There is
a clear and decisive trend to the issue from the community but it seems
the ones that have final say are hoping if nothing is said that the
issue will disappear.

Dean

Dean,

You are very much overexpecting and looking for answers too quickly.

First of all, Weekly news is written by the community. It is not some
"official" publication from Novell. So, if you're upset that community
didn't report anything on the debate, basically, you're upset with
yourself because you are part of the same community that writes the
Weekly News and you were free to submit an article if you felt it was
relevant to the debate.

Second of all, let's look at the date here. It is August 15th, middle
of the month. This debate started about two weeks ago (give or take a
day or so.) Slow down, kid! Give the decision-makers a chance to
digest what has been said on both sides of the debate and come up with a
sane decision. I mean, seriously! 11.2 isn't coming out until
November. The huge amount of mail pumped into the several threads on
this subject have slowed many of us down in attempting to read what has
been said.

Third of all, a decision will be coming soon enough. I know it is being
actively looked at. But baseless accusations such as "hoping that the
issue will disappear" is precisely what slows down the decision-making
process. This debate has had many good points made on both sides, but
it has also been fraught with conjecture, wild assumptions, and baseless
accusations that have detracted from the main issue itself. How you
managed to interpret a debate that has only started 2 weeks ago into
"shh, let's hope people forget about it" is beyond me and is a
disservice to the very proposal that sparked this debate. This topic is
foremost in many people's minds and NO ONE is attempting to avoid the
issue.

--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member