  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 01:06:36 +0200
Am Sonntag, 9. August 2009 23:33:06 schrieb Bryen M Yunashko:
On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 23:22 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:
Søndag den 9. august 2009 22:57:49 skrev Bryen M Yunashko:
On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 22:50 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:
I meant anti-GNOME sentiments might be fed by the strange and
unhelpful GNOME
favouritism.

I'm asking this question as objectively and impartially as I can,
because personally, I perceive a fairly equal amount of attention
between KDE and GNOME. What do you feel lends to an unhelpful
favouritism?

I think enough has been said about this before. If I repeat what I and
others have already said, the whole thing will just blow up again.

I only repsonded to Gerald's mail because what I had written could be
misinterpreted as an attack on current openSUSE management, and I wanted
to make clear that was not my intentions.

Well, as a board member, I have a great interest in these matters and
finding ways to resolve conflicts of perception. You may have attempted
to clear up an unintended attack to Gerald, but you closed that
statement with another attack.

If you don't wish to elaborate, that's fine and I respect that. But it
ties my hands to make sane and rational recommendations as a
representative of the community. And, unfortunately, it comes off like
a hit-and-run.

A first step would be to find out whether Novell's acting and decisions are
projected on openSUSE by the community and non-users or not, i.e. is openSUSE
seen as mostly independent from the rest of Novell or not. This includes e.g.
technical, political as well as financial aspects.

If openSUSE is seen as independent, i.e. whatever happens within Novell
(decisions taken, investments made, contract signed etc.) is not projected on
openSUSE then one has to only look at the treatment of x and y within
openSUSE.

If whatever Novell does is projected on openSUSE, e.g. the Microsoft deal
coming up when users discuss the pros and cons of openSUSE, then one has to
sum-up all resources and decisions Novell took over the last years to find out
whether its claim to treat x and y equally holds.

Sven