Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:05:31 -0500
Hi Claes,

On Saturday 08 August 2009 02:53:19 pm Claes Backstrom wrote:
On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Rajko M.<rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't think that anybody will complain to have KDE
style file chooser dialogs in both, KDE and GNOME

So far I have not said anything about this. But now I have to (and
this mail made me to vote "No" on openFATE).

Well, I have mixed KDE/GTk interface.
The nature of the choice for KDE as desktop, brings user benefit to learn GTk
UI for free :-)

No desktop per se is the best choice. There are and will be always
applications that are better then DE native. The general idea is that it would
be better to use better of both worlds.

I would have nothing against GNOMEifing KDE desktop if that would be the
better solution at the end, and I would rather have long discussions on
particular issues, instead GNOME vs. KDE. First can help everybody and it is
possible to solve, while the second is typical politics, opinions without
details.

I choose to use Gnome because I like Gnome. I DO NOT use Gnome to have
the KDE style file chooser. We might have KDE as the default desktop
(in the future) , but that should not mean that we should start to
KDE'ify Gnome. If YOU would like a KDE file chooser in firefox then
you have to make one, to my understanding the reason that the file
chooser in firefox is the way it is, is because there is no other on
linux.

It is merely there is no other in GTk. and for SUSE in particular there was
one, but it was dropped.

It would not be a problem in openSUSE to handle two different
file choosers in firefox.

It is problem for me to handle that, and the Novell staff has no time allotted
for that, so the problem is who is going to do that.

Warm Regards (but not as warm as it usually is),
Claes Backstrom

GTk file chooser was once a good one, but then someone found time to tune up
the interface and that made my life harder. I can't remember the old one in
details, but I remember that difference was merely aesthetic one, while now
with hidden functionality that you can use only if you know that is there, or
by accident start typing something, it missed the main reason for GUI, ie.
self advertising of functionality.

What makes me not happy when I use Firefox is the print-to-file-dialog. I
print to file often and clickety-click to change defaults is really step back
to the previously used. I have to change file name, file type, target
directory, every time. It is not using last user choices, even within the same
session and the same web page. I bet they have viable explanation, but
whatever it is, it doesn't help me much to feel better.

--
Regards, Rajko
(the same feelings as before)