  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 22:54:05 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Druid wrote:
Decisions for enterprise affects Opensuse, as Opensuse is the base for
the enterprise releases. For example, if JFS is not available in the
enterprise releases, chances are it wont be available in Opensuse
either.

Well, that is the perfect counter example. ;-) JFS will never ever
enter SUSE Linux Enterprise (again), yet it is available on openSUSE.
Or take ext4, where we made the conscious decision not to push this
with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, yet it is the default on openSUSE
right now.

openSUSE is one thing, SUSE Linux Enterprise is another. The two are
certainly related, but the way decisions are being made for the two
should be quite different, and is.

openSUSE decisions are made by the openSUSE community (which includes a
number of Novell employees like AJ, Michl or myself) and executed by the
openSUSE community (which again includes a number of us paid by Novell).

It affects all the users the way I explained: some software or
libraries maintained in gnome side would be buggy and affect people
using the gtk software even if they arent gnome users.

I am regularily using both the GNOME and KDE sides of the house, both
as desktop environment and specific applications, and will claim that
both are pretty comparable on many accounts. And what you wrote above
can just be mirrored to KDE and qt. Been there, done that, filed my
share of bugs (both ways).

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Product Management F +49(911)74053-483 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)