Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:14:46 -0500
On Friday 07 August 2009 04:51:40 am Christian Jäger wrote:

As said, you CAN'T make the choice of desktop FOR the user because the
choice between two desktop environments is as basic as the decision
between Windows and Linux. It influences everything from workflow to
look & feel.

The day user bought computer nobody asked him what he/she want to use, so it
is possible to make the choice for the user. Is that fair? From support
provider point of view, that is absolutely the only proper way.

Do I prefer one DE over the other, the answer is yes, but not that much that I
will not mention that there is many options, with 2 distinctive leaders GNOME
and KDE, but I would explain that I can provide help for KDE, and leave user
to decide.

I'm aware that such explanation wasn't really giving a choice, but should I
follow all desktops to be able to help every possible choice. I don't think
so.

BTW, I already got the question why is GNOME listed first (none of users
noticed that is none preselected), and you can imagine that my explanation did
not include alphabet ordering.

--
Regards, Rajko