Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 16:50:58 +0200
On Friday 07 August 2009 18:23:47 you wrote:
No one is saying remove Gnome from the selection screen.

I understand that, and have understood that from the beginning. I also
see the potential for the KDE "camp" to say "well, GNOME is the minority
choice, KDE is now the default, the next logical step is to move GNOME to
'other' or to remove it completely from the distribution." The same
logic being used to fight for the KDE Default selection can be used to
push those other agendas as well.

Will has said that my proposal is acceptable, and knowing now that he's
one of the KDE dev team (which I didn't realise before), that satisfies
me that the team won't push for that in the future.

Right, if I may reference myself

and

underline my (and the rest of the openSUSE's KDE community's) commitment not
to remove choice by making it harder to choose GNOME.

Among the Free desktop projects' developers and the contributors there is a
healthy respect for one another and each other's projects and we recognise the
way in which we stimulate and catalyse each other - take recent work to create
high quality shared specs on the xdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list as an example, or
the inter-project meetings at GCDS.

This feature is about making the openSUSE project stronger by making its
primary product, the openSUSE distribution, attractive to a broader audience
by simplifying the install, by recognising our users' preferences and public
interest in a default, and thereby better leveraging an important upstream
project.

Will