[opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:23:47 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 08:42:53 -0600, Dean Hilkewich wrote:

I'm sorry but you are assuming a lot of things. Gnome users are just as
tech savy as the next user ranging in expertise from new user to guru.

No kidding. I'm a GNOME user and I consider myself pretty tech saavy.
Yet I had no idea there was a user survey, even though I've been an
openSUSE user since shortly after SUSE joined the Novell family.

To suggest otherwise is just plain insulting. Mailing lists and forums
are full of new users asking simple things as well, I would suggest you
actually read some before drawing your conclusion. In the case of
openFATE and especially on the issue of a KDE default there is next to
no technical knowledge needed to express one's feelings.

Now who's making assumptions?

No one is saying remove Gnome from the selection screen.

I understand that, and have understood that from the beginning. I also
see the potential for the KDE "camp" to say "well, GNOME is the minority
choice, KDE is now the default, the next logical step is to move GNOME to
'other' or to remove it completely from the distribution." The same
logic being used to fight for the KDE Default selection can be used to
push those other agendas as well.

Will has said that my proposal is acceptable, and knowing now that he's
one of the KDE dev team (which I didn't realise before), that satisfies
me that the team won't push for that in the future.

If that's what
you are thinking then you should really re-read the complete thread. We
are talking about having a preselected desktop. It does not prohibit
you from changing if desired. Again stop trying to make this into a
"death to gnome" topic.

Stop misunderstanding my intent here. *I* proposed the idea that IF the
KDE "camp" would assure me (as a GNOME user) that they would not seek the
removal of GNOME from that selection screen or from the distro, that I'd
be fine with the default KDE selection.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson