[opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:34:15 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:48:01 -0500, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:

Il giorno gio, 06/08/2009 alle 22.41 +0000, Jim Henderson ha scritto:

So we're not concerned about growing the openSUSE community or user
base?

That means that openSUSE is poised for a decline, one way or the other.

Yes. At the moment it is, and it is not due to the default desktop
choice, but on one side to the fact that openSUSE is stuck to what
Novell needs, and on the other the community does not have enough
resources in terms of contributors to keep it going ahead.

In summary, there is no practical plan for its future, at least to my
knowledge. The best I can think to is a project in "maintenance mode"
right now.

If that's the core problem, then the DE discussion is the least of our
worries.....

If we have people leaving and aren't seeking users to replace those who
leave for whatever reason, then the result is a net loss no matter how
you look at it. If we don't build appeal into the broader Linux
community (and into the general computing community), then we only
stand to lose users no matter how you slice it, because there's
*always* going to be someone leaving.

I agree. But how this can go step by step with the _divisive_ discussion
on the default desktop is not clear.

I agree with this, but at the same time, there are those in the KDE camp
who take silence as agreement - it's a no-win situation for the GNOME
users from that perspective. Either the discussion continues so the
GNOME users have a voice, or the KDE users say "you didn't vote against
it or participate in the decision making process, so we win". It's hard
to participate in a discussion and not participate in the discussion at
the same time.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson