[opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:28:46 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:23:21 -0600, Dean Hilkewich wrote:

I'm sorry but if you have a choice of a vocal community vs silent
community it is the vocal community that you want to cater too. They
are obviously more passionate about the project then the other
community.

Posit: GNOME users are generally (though not always) new users and non-
technical users at that.

Mailing lists, forums, etc where the discussions are largely *technical*
in nature are not likely to draw that part of the userbase into the
discussion because most of the discussion is over their heads.

Creating a situation where people are unlikely to know or are unwilling
to participate because they won't understand 99% of the discussion and
then saying "well, if you don't participate, too bad for you" is a
*great* way to disenfranchise those users while appearing to be looking
at the issue in a democratic manner.

Let's make sure we're not doing that and at least giving those people a
chance to have a voice before we declare them as being dispassionate and
uninterested in the future of the distro.

That means that openSUSE is poised for a decline, one way or the other.
If we have people leaving and aren't seeking users to replace those who
leave for whatever reason, then the result is a net loss no matter how
you look at it. If we don't build appeal into the broader Linux
community (and into the general computing community), then we only
stand to lose users no matter how you slice it, because there's
*always* going to be someone leaving.

I can't see it declining at all, otherwise pretty much every other
distro out there would be a sinking ship, which we all know is not the
case. While there may be always someone leaving that gap can be filled
with people who are no longer stuck with a decision they really have no
idea about. This is not a case of practicing euthanasia on Gnome. The
choice is still there, people can still select gnome if they want. It's
a decision of what the gnome community likes to call "sensible
defaults". Just like the installer has sensible defaults for
filesystem, language, keyboard layout, etc.

And as I've said, I've no problem if the KDE camp is willing to commit
that GNOME stays on the menu. I've yet to see *anyone* from that camp
say that they find that agreeable.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson