Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:50:07 +0200
Fredag den 7. august 2009 00:41:25 skrev Jim Henderson:
So it's reasonable to assume that people who aren't active in the
community (which may include many new users) wouldn't know about those
surveys or have taken the time to participate in them.

Stop trying to raise doubt about the vastness of the KDE majority in openSUSE
- the picture is quite clear and consistent no matter if you look at surveys,
build services stats, iso download stats, mailing lists subscriptions or
whatever data we have - or simply hang out in the online community.

Are you sure that it's not desktop choice? And more to the point, what
does it matter why people choose a particular desktop? If Ubuntu
accounts for say 30% of Linus desktops out there, then that's a pretty
significant GNOME base for Linux overall. You can't say "KDE is more
popular than GNOME so we should show a preference for GNOME" and then
when the counter back is that across all Linux distributions, it's about
equal and say "well, the desktop isn't the important thing". Either it
is or it isn't.

Ubuntu users don't do support in openSUSE forums or IRC channels, they don't
build packages for openSUSE, don't write howtos for openSUSE, and they don't
know anything about openSUSE at all.

And the last three or so years of (subtly) pushing GNOME haven't exactly been
very succesful have they? Have Ubuntu and Fedora GNOME users flocked to our
distribution?

Imitation of Ubuntu or Fedora won't work. A differentiation strategy is more
likely to be succesful, and Kubuntu and Fedora KDE users (being second class
citizens) are much easier to sway than their GNOME counterparts.

We are not worried about servicing the entire linux community, we are
however worried about servicing the openSUSE community and as such
should base decisions on their opinions.

So we're not concerned about growing the openSUSE community or user base?

In my mind it's a matter of balancing the interests of the existing community
and new users. And leveraging the existing community to become more succesful,
instead of working against it, as has been the practice in recent years.