Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:20:46 +0100
Jim Henderson wrote:
1. "Most popular" is a difficult metric. Some suggest that KDE is the
most popular based on the older user survey, and that because the
openFATE request mirrors this, that makes it a valid figure. However,
I'm sure that not all users are aware of the openFATE request or the user
survey (this is the first I'd heard of either of them, in fact). At best
the survey and the request represent the opinions of the majority of
people who know about them, which may or may not be a reasonable sampling
of the user community at large.

2. However, that flexibility comes at a cost of complexity that can (not
necessarily "is", but "can") be daunting to a new user. So if the
argument is to make a choice for new users, shouldn't we look not at the
use case for "the popular choice in the community" but rather "what suits
a new user coming from Windows or another platform best"? We talk a lot
about the success Ubuntu has had with a single desktop model (with GNOME
as their choice) in attracting new users, so it seems that there is a
consensus that new users benefit from using GNOME.

3. If we're interested in *growth*, then we have to look beyond the current
user base and at who we wish to attract to using the distribution.

Jim

1. seems to me you are try really hard to invalidate the only useful
figures we have on desktop choice..........?

2. no, the consensus is that Ubuntu has a reputation for ease of use,
there is no consensus on how that reputation was received, and certainly
no consensus agreeing that it is because of Gnome.

3. very much agreed.