Re: [opensuse-project] What you vote, and what you DON'T vote on - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: member greenarrow1 <greenarrow1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 23:23:30 -0700
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Christian Jäger<christian.jaeger@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 06.08.2009, 00:03 +0200 schrieb Michael Loeffler:

b) I fear the decision has to be made by myself as the Product Manager
of openSUSE.

You got my sympathies. ;-)

Greets,
Chris Jäger

This has always been a questioned poised to me when I suggest someone
download and install openSUSE, Which desktop should I use, what is the
difference, and the big one, why is there 2 desktops and why does it
not just load one? What I am getting out is I cannot tell the new
user which one to use because than it comes back upon me if they do
not like the suggestion I made. Most systems I have used install one
default and later on you have the choice to switch to another one (if
there is another one).

Believe me when I say this, I have had users just say, well I cannot
decide so I will just stay with whatever I am using presently. Or,
they ask me why is there 2 is something wrong with one so they give
you a choice of 2 or 3. I would say that 95% of the users I do get to
try openSUSE are coming from Windows where there is only 1 choice when
installing so having 2 or 3 choices on the install does truly confuse
them. They really do not care and only want a desktop that works. It
is only the experienced Linux user who knows about the different
desktops and then they can make changes after the install.

Why argue or vote and let the manager select one as default as you can
always change later to the one of your choice. I personally care less
which one installs as default since I know I can switch and change
later. Most new users would not even know the difference anyway as
they will use what is installed until they tinker and learn the
system.

Being with 3 other Linux systems I have never seen this brought up
before as they all had a default desktop on the install.

PeterPac
InNetInvestigations-Forensic
SLED/openSUSE