Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:23:21 -0600
Jim Henderson wrote:
If you consider that the people we're talking about the pre-selection
being made for are "new users who don't know what to pick", I think the
argument is a bit stronger. I've only been a Linux user for about 15
years, and I wouldn't have known that this was in openFATE if it hadn't
come up here.

So it's reasonable to assume that people who aren't active in the
community (which may include many new users) wouldn't know about those
surveys or have taken the time to participate in them.

Also, if the enhancement is perceived as being to benefit KDE users,
GNOME users may well not feel it's appropriate to interject their opinion
in the proposal because it appears to be a proposal for KDE. Not saying
that it is, but that could be the light that some people see it in, which
would skew the "voting".

I'm sorry but if you have a choice of a vocal community vs silent
community it is the vocal community that you want to cater too. They
are obviously more passionate about the project then the other
community. An active community is exactly what the a distro needs. A
wise man once said "If you don't vote, you have no right to bitch about
the outcome". You can reasonably assume that both communities would
have about the same amount percentage wise of the "unaware" or
"uninformed" and as such that argument is a wash. Your seeing a skew in
results putting a "best case" set of circumstances for one group vs
the "worst case" set of circumstances on the other. If your going to
try to interpret results put them on the same playing field.

So we're not concerned about growing the openSUSE community or user base?

That means that openSUSE is poised for a decline, one way or the other.
If we have people leaving and aren't seeking users to replace those who
leave for whatever reason, then the result is a net loss no matter how
you look at it. If we don't build appeal into the broader Linux
community (and into the general computing community), then we only stand
to lose users no matter how you slice it, because there's *always* going
to be someone leaving.

Jim

I can't see it declining at all, otherwise pretty much every other
distro out there would be a sinking ship, which we all know is not the
case. While there may be always someone leaving that gap can be filled
with people who are no longer stuck with a decision they really have no
idea about. This is not a case of practicing euthanasia on Gnome. The
choice is still there, people can still select gnome if they want. It's
a decision of what the gnome community likes to call "sensible
defaults". Just like the installer has sensible defaults for
filesystem, language, keyboard layout, etc.

Dean