Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:48:01 -0500
Il giorno gio, 06/08/2009 alle 22.41 +0000, Jim Henderson ha scritto:

So we're not concerned about growing the openSUSE community or user base?

That means that openSUSE is poised for a decline, one way or the other.

Yes. At the moment it is, and it is not due to the default desktop
choice, but on one side to the fact that openSUSE is stuck to what
Novell needs, and on the other the community does not have enough
resources in terms of contributors to keep it going ahead.

In summary, there is no practical plan for its future, at least to my
knowledge. The best I can think to is a project in "maintenance mode"
right now.

If we have people leaving and aren't seeking users to replace those who
leave for whatever reason, then the result is a net loss no matter how
you look at it. If we don't build appeal into the broader Linux
community (and into the general computing community), then we only stand
to lose users no matter how you slice it, because there's *always* going
to be someone leaving.

I agree. But how this can go step by step with the _divisive_ discussion
on the default desktop is not clear.

Best,
A.