[opensuse-project] Re: openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 22:45:27 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 21:57:40 +0200, Sven Burmeister wrote:

What I do not understand from a user's point of view is the following.
In this thread it is argumented that having a default or even having a
pre-selection on that installation page would send a message which could
offend, insult, disappoint etc. Gnome users.

Considering the claim from some in the KDE community that they're
offended, insulted, disappointed, etc because KDE isn't a preferred/
default/first selection, it seems reasonable to apply that metric evenly
across the memberships of both groups of users, no?

If I take your Cons, then SLE alienates KDE users, contributors and does
not encourage KDE contributors to choose SLE. Sounds pretty harsh to me.
Would all those claiming that there is an alleged "anti-Gnome message"
in pre-selecting KDE agree that SLE sends and even clearer "anti-KDE
message"?

No moreso than Kubuntu sends an anti-GNOME message to Ubuntu users. SLE
is a derivation of openSUSE. That it prefers GNOME over KDE isn't IMHO
any more significant than any other distro having a derived distribution
that uses a different package set or desktop environment.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson