  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 21:57:40 +0200
Am Freitag, 31. Juli 2009 16:49:10 schrieb Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier:
Con:

* We may alienate our GNOME users -- while a smaller percentage than
our KDE users, ~30% of the community is still important to me.
* We may alienate our GNOME contributors
* We will not encourage any GNOME contributors to choose openSUSE if
they're not already here
* We probably wind up having further conversations about "defaults"
with future releases, such as burying GNOME to "other" with 11.3, or
worse.

What I do not understand from a user's point of view is the following. In this
thread it is argumented that having a default or even having a pre-selection
on that installation page would send a message which could offend, insult,
disappoint etc. Gnome users.

Fair enough, let's say I agree with that, i.e. pre-selecting and even more so
defaulting to a DE offends, insults, disappoints. Then there are a) a lot of
distros that do so and still have more users than openSUSE and b) and far more
importantly, since who cares about other distros?, Novell and those managing
SLE have to admit that they send that exact message to the KDE world/users. Do
they acknowledge that? I think that if one does not, one applies double
standards. Even if there are reasons that might justify the defaulting, the
message is sent.

If I take your Cons, then SLE alienates KDE users, contributors and does not
encourage KDE contributors to choose SLE. Sounds pretty harsh to me. Would all
those claiming that there is an alleged "anti-Gnome message" in pre-selecting
KDE agree that SLE sends and even clearer "anti-KDE message"?

Further, and I stole this from somebody else ;), the argument that having a
default or at least a pre-selection is useful, e.g. because it would make it
easier for new users, is denied by some. If one denies the need for a default
even for openSUSE which is aimed at all users from newbies to experts, then
one surely has to agree that a default makes even less sense if a product is
aimed mostly at experts. Or does it make sense to anyone that one has to take
the decision off the shoulders of an expert but not of those of a newbie or
normal user?

Yet for the SLE products which are mostly installed by admins, which clearly
have a clue of what DE they want, get a default. So those need a default while
openSUSE users don't? What's the justification for that default? Most SLE
users want Gnome? Easing the installation process? Proposing the better
technology? I fail to see what argument could be offered that would not apply
for openSUSE as well.

Sven