Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:46:36 -0600
Well the policy should follow the current schema already in play for
almost the complete install process. If you take a look at the
installation setup, you have a multitude of defaults. When you boot to
the DVD it's defaulted to English, keyboard layout is defaulted to US
English, partitioning has a proposed layout, DHCP is used as default,
the firewall is on by default, etc, anything that is not auto detected
has a default except for the desktop environment. Now because we have
all those default settings, is anybody also contending that those should
be put into a choice form before allowing to continue? Aren't we scared
that making such defaults would alienate non-english, multidisk
partition layout, static IP users who use a hardware firewall? I would
think not, so the logical choice would be to have a default desktop as
well and that choice should be decided by what the majority uses as well
in openSUSE.

My 2 cents.

Dean Hilkewich