Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: Charles Kerr <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 06:13:04 -0500
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Lubos Lunak<l.lunak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 06 of August 2009, Charles Kerr wrote:

I can make it more precise, but then it will be also less comprehensible,
just like the original issue.

(Current debate aside, I really enjoyed this line. :)

- Write using a pen
[ ] with left hand
[ ] with right hand
[ ] with neither

 It still doesn't change anything about the fact that one option there is
clearly pushed. And yes, this is also not a perfect analogy, so it would be
nice if you tried to point out an error in the underlying idea rather than
nitpicked some detail.

Just as "Drive" was 1000x more likely than "sell" in the car example,
"right hand" is 10x more likely than "left hand" in this example.
In both cases, I'd agree that, out of simple usability, an order-of-magnitude
preference deserves a preselected default.

If every third person were left handed -- as every third person installing
openSUSE chooses GNOME -- then I'd say the handedness example
was relevant to the openSUSE install. Unfortunately, the handedness
example has one choice that's an order of magnitude more likely than
the others. This is a fundamental flaw in your analogies.

 If you want to be exact, then refer to my post where I explained this exactly
in technical terms and do not ignore it again, do not try to move the
discussion to a different topic (such as making this suddenly a discussion
about technical or some other superiority) and do not counter by claims that
are obvious untruths ("The DE is NOT a component [of openSUSE].").

Okay. From your "technical" post of "facts":

- when openSUSE ships several competing components, the most suitable, or,
failing a clear solution for that, the most popular one is preselected - fact

That's not a fact. Show me where openSUSE's guiding principles
say that components with 51% of the market share are preselected.
*Then* it's a fact. Until then, it's just your framing device.

- when openSUSE ships competing components, and a component's
choice is a hot political issue (due to the popularity of multiple
competitors) that affects dozens of interconnected applications,
then openSUSE leaves the choice to the user. This is done because
openSUSE values diversity and pluralism as a way of addressing
the needs of a broad variety of people. - fact

cheers,
Charles