Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:25:29 +0200
On Thursday 06 of August 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
The sort order doesn't really matter. Sort the list any way you want, it
doesn't change anything about the fact that "drive it" is disfavoured as
long as it is not handled the same way like "eat it" and "wear it".

And, I'd like to add, this is what I consider to be the actual underlying
problem here.

You can tell other GNOME contributors "openSUSE preselects the most popular
option, sorry" and be honest about it, and then it is up to (plural) you to
either say "world is cruel, let's be depressed and weep" or "well, then we
need to do something about being even more popular".

But what am I to tell KDE contributors, current or potentional? "openSUSE
values you as much as GNOME contributors, never mind GNOME has this favour
nobody else has that puts you at disadvantage, it doesn't mean anything" ? I
could try with "openSUSE values options the same, that's why KDE and GNOME
are given as completely equal choices", but then how many are going to
believe me when it can be seen that no other options are handled the same? No
matter which way I try to position it, the message always eventually comes
out as "KDE is disfavoured in openSUSE".

I really don't know what would be a good way to explain it if the feature
request is refused. Even "Novell wants it so" would be acceptable, although
not liked, but then the problem is incorrect messaging about openSUSE
welcoming all equally and then that again can result in disappointed
contributors.

I believe this is better explained in
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2009-08/msg00283.html . I would
prefer it if you tried to find a mistake in the description of the actual
problem rather than this analogy.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer