Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:50:46 +0200
Catering to the mindless click next 5 times and it's installed
mentality.. well give those people the KDE or Gnome Live CDs.

I don't think we should - indeed the live CDs are probably right up
their street. Then they can complain that OpenSuSE doesn't offer some
proprietary package that their MS box has (as a pirated install) and go
right back to that OS.

-1

awesome attitude towards growing the opensuse userbase by helping newbs
as they embark on their bewildering new experience.

The LiveCDs do a good job for new users. I've handed the KDE and
Gnome LiveCDs to several new users and thay were more than pleased
with the results. They boot one.. poke it a bit.. boot the other...
poke it a bit and are able to make a reasonably informed choice
between Gnome and KDE... they pick whatever "feels right" to them.
The DVD still provides both, but is not a LiveDVD... so.. we're right
back where we started... :-)

C.