Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:47:43 +0200
On Thursday 06 of August 2009, Charles Kerr wrote:
We are in complete agreement that the last one is different.

If every third person walking to their car in the morning
were to choose "sell" -- as every third person installing
openSUSE chooses "GNOME" -- then I'd even say the
car example was relevant to the openSUSE install.
Unfortunately, the car example has one choice that's
many orders of magnitude more likely than the others.

It is an analogy, an example that is supposed to explain the issue better. I
can make it more precise, but then it will be also less comprehensible, just
like the original issue. Make it the following, if you want.

- Apple
[x] eat it
[ ] look at it
[ ] throw it away

- Trousers
[x] wear it
[ ] wash it
[ ] iron it

- Write using a pen
[ ] with left hand
[ ] with right hand
[ ] with neither

It still doesn't change anything about the fact that one option there is
clearly pushed. And yes, this is also not a perfect analogy, so it would be
nice if you tried to point out an error in the underlying idea rather than
nitpicked some detail.

If you want to be exact, then refer to my post where I explained this exactly
in technical terms and do not ignore it again, do not try to move the
discussion to a different topic (such as making this suddenly a discussion
about technical or some other superiority) and do not counter by claims that
are obvious untruths ("The DE is NOT a component [of openSUSE].").

Now that I've answered your question, please return

I would much prefer if you responded to the actual description of the problem
rather to an analogy trying to explain it.

the favor by answering my previous letter's question.
Given this choice:

Please choose one or more of these two, both excellent, choices:
[ ] Choice A
[ ] Choice B

Please tell me which is biased: A, B, or neither.

Neither. And it is unimportant for the dicussed topic, because this is not a
good analogy. There is not only a choice between A and B in openSUSE, but
also between C and D, E and F. Please redo your question by taking this into
account and then ask the question again (yourself, too - it might save us
some time).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer