Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 08:33:05 +0200
I've been reading the two threads on this and I have been wondering..
is there anything inherently _wrong_ with how things were presented in
openSUSE 11.1? The only change I would make would be to change from
radio buttons to check boxes so that people could select more than one
DE on install (convenience factor for people like me that like to
tinker). Otherwise, as things are now, the choice is left up to the
user... how is this a bad thing?

All this arguing about which should be "first" and who is being given
favor is... not in the best interests of openSUSE in any way shape or
form. Providing an easy way to install one of the major DEs plus an
option for the lesser known ones... exactly as we do now is great.

The arguments that someone might choose Gnome instead of KDE are
silly. Who cares which DE a new user uses? Both DEs are excellent in
their own ways, and the openSUSE implementations of both are some of
the best in the distro options. If a new user picks KDE, they aren't
going to run away because KDE gives them a plethora of configuration
choices (chances are they won't ever change form the defaults anyway).
If a new user picks Gnome, they aren't going to be annoyed because
that limited them in some imaginary way. The new user will do exactly
as you and I did... pick one... come to terms with Linux in general...
and if they choose, at a later date, they may explore the other
options.

Catering to the mindless click next 5 times and it's installed
mentality.. well give those people the KDE or Gnome Live CDs. Problem
solved? Or no? Have I missed something?

C.