Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 00:14:54 -0500
On Wednesday 05 August 2009 08:23:35 am Andreas Jaeger wrote:

* The choice to only set the radio button was something that Vincent "could
live with"

The check boxes are IMHO much better.
Preselect one, if user just go with Next.
Warning, if user deselect all.

* I'm for alphabetical order, so GNOME is first but KDE is preselected ;)

Alphabetical order is not OK, as it will send mixed message.
No. 1 in the list is not what we want to install - how to understand that, as
a software error?

* The statement that both a first class desktops is something that I
consider important.

That is actually the most important part for political correctness, the rest
is just matter of user ability to get help after installation.

Having 1 in 5 people that know software you need help with, or 4 in 5, is not
the same, and that is ratio of KDE vs. GNOME installations in openSUSE.
Numbers are pulled from different statistics around.

The same problem face KDE3 users. There is no much help for their problems
too.

The picture is blurred, by relative high number of questions related to
multimedia, wifi, sound, which one can help without knowing DE, but when it
comes to handholding user, then everything breaks. It is problem to tell how
to open console application outside your DE.

While GNOME, for sure helped openSUSE, not to loose many users, due to recent
KDE rebirth problems, I'm sure that we face similar situation very soon, with
roles switched. GNOME is facing changes, and for sure not small.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/