Re: [opensuse-project] What you vote, and what you DON'T vote on - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 00:03:39 +0200
Moin,
On Wednesday 05 August 2009 15:12:43 Martin Schlander wrote:
Onsdag den 5. august 2009 14:26:14 skrev Christian Jäger:
The problem here is a misapprehension of what a majority vote can and
can not do.

You're completely off-beat with all of this. A majority decision has never
been in the cards.

The decision will be made by openSUSE management and the openSUSE board
(assuming noone higher up in the Novell hierarchy interfers).
a) the openSUSE Board as of the Guiding Principles [1] is not supposed to make
decisions but recommendations:
Act as a central point of contact
Help resolve conflicts
Communicate community interests to Novell
Facilitate communication with all areas of the community
Facilitate decision making processes where needed
b) I fear the decision has to be made by myself as the Product Manager of
openSUSE. It's most likely a decision which just can be wrong. But it will be
taken soon.
Best
[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Guiding_Principles

a) discontinue the DVD-releases and only put out Live-CDs, thus avoiding
the issue (a mild kind of split, as I don't think anybody would really
want 'KopenSUSE' and 'GopenSUSE'...)

The exact same issues exist for the download page on the website as for the
dvd installer. Besides solving nothing, discontinuing the dvd is also a bad
idea because it's the preferred media by most.

b) treat both communities equally by NOT defaulting to a specific
desktop (the zero-sum game is made a taboo)

Ahh, but you ignore the fact that the majority of our community don't see
the current situation as being equal at all.

and there is always
c) declare it someone else's problem (as in 'let Andreas decide' ;))

'c)' is not really an option because the new decision maker be it a
maintainer of whoever - would face the same problems and consequences.

AJ's draft of a policy for the matter mostly takes care of the problem of
the issue coming up again at random times:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2009-08/msg00196.html

But with a vote on a) or b) I think we would have it down to two
meaningful, non-destructive options which don't align with the borders
of the two 'camps'.

They're both quite destructive.

b) would mean everyone has to either accept that the openSUSE community
as a whole is more important than their feelings

No, it would mean that the feelings of a small minority would be more
important than the good of the project as a whole.

I am frankly quite amazed by the nonchalance with which a KDE-team
member has brought up this explosive issue

He is not part of the openSUSE KDE team if that's what you mean. I don't
think any KDE person close to the openSUSE project would have ever bothered
opening this debate - cuz frankly everyone expected/expects that Novell
politricks would overrule the interest of the block the correct decision
from ever being made. Which is in itself one of many reasons why the status
quo is quite destructive.

The gains of this whole discussion are close to zero, the damage has
already been done

Again you ignore the fact that the status quo is doing damage every day,
and has been doing so for years - for all the reasons already stated in the
discussion.

If the correct decision is made, this whole thing is an opportunity for the
openSUSE community to come out healthier on the other side.

--
Michael Löffler, Product Management