Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Kay Schenk <kschenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:12:27 -0700

Joe Harmon wrote:
On 8/5/2009 at 09:46 AM, Kay Schenk <kschenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Joe Harmon <jharmon@xxxxxxxxxx> [08-04-09 16:06]:
Why not let the user make that choice?
Explained *many* times but you have not accepted the explanation.

Why do need to suggest anything?
YES! YES! YES! people. New users don't know WHAT to choose. Please try
to put aside your "political" convictions whatever they may be, and just
give new users *something*. If you don't, the installation process will
be even more frightening to them than it likely already is. KDE seems to
be a very reasonable choice, frankly.

This has nothing to do with political convictions. This has to do with trying
to be fair to both desktops.

I understand that, but I beg to disagree. Try to remember a time when
you were a new user, and ahd to make this kind of decision. Yes, it does
take "guts" to switch to Linux, but I think you need to understand, that
even people with "guts" need help and hand holding on these kinds of
issues. I switched to SuSE in 2001, ver 7.1. I knew NOTHING about either
KDE or Gnome at the time. I had to do a LOT of investigation on my own
to figure all this out. What has been suggested if I'm reading all this
correctly is to simply check a DE button for the installer, presumable
KDE. Ok, if you are not willing to do that, I think you will need to
provide some help icons for both. I don't think either approach is
necessarily "bad", but I think you are really misreading your potential
market of new users, who, by the way, are not ALL computer geeks.

I really think for new users, no doubt coming over from Windows, less is
definitely more.