Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Kay Schenk <kschenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:46:15 -0700

Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Joe Harmon <jharmon@xxxxxxxxxx> [08-04-09 16:06]:
Why not let the user make that choice?

Explained *many* times but you have not accepted the explanation.

Why do need to suggest anything?

YES! YES! YES! people. New users don't know WHAT to choose. Please try
to put aside your "political" convictions whatever they may be, and just
give new users *something*. If you don't, the installation process will
be even more frightening to them than it likely already is. KDE seems to
be a very reasonable choice, frankly.

same answer.

Is the fear that one desktop will overtake another by not
suggesting a desktop?

see above

I just don't understand why we are suggesting
anything.

see above

If we truly support both desktops then either install them
both and give the user a better option for seeing the difference
between the two or let the user make the choice.

The *user* in this case is *unknowing* and will develope his
preferences with experience.

It has been said in earlier threads that the reason for doing this is
so that we have more of a user experience like Ubuntu.

no, simplicity of installation. We are not interested in using Ubutu.

But Ubuntu has one desktop that they officially support. We don't.

:^)

That isn't a bad thing, I think it is a good thing.

:^)

But if we want less screens or choices for a new user, I don't see
how suggesting one desktop over an equally supported desktop is an
answer to that problem.

We are not advocating or suggesting one over the other, but making the
*original* installation *simpler*. The accompanying text will explain
that the preselection may be changed and that it is done as a convience
determined by the popularity of one vs the other, not on the merits of
one vs the other.

We are essentially saying that the selected desktop is the suggested
or preferred desktop.

Not *suggested*, but it *is* the *preferred* desktop as indicated by
the number of users, not a technical decision but a popularity
decision. AND the proposal is to list gnome first.

Would you prefer renaming kde to gkde?