Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:14:46 -0400
* Joe Harmon <jharmon@xxxxxxxxxx> [08-04-09 16:06]:

Why not let the user make that choice? Why do need to suggest anything? Is
the fear that one desktop will overtake another by not suggesting a desktop?
I just don't understand why we are suggesting anything. If we truly support
both desktops then either install them both and give the user a better option
for seeing the difference between the two or let the user make the choice.

It has been said in earlier threads that the reason for doing this is so that
we have more of a user experience like Ubuntu. But Ubuntu has one desktop
that they officially support. We don't. That isn't a bad thing, I think it is
a good thing. But if we want less screens or choices for a new user, I don't
see how suggesting one desktop over an equally supported desktop is an answer
to that problem. We are essentially saying that the selected desktop is the
suggested or preferred desktop.

Joe