Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: "Joe Harmon" <jharmon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:05:09 -0600
On 8/4/2009 at 01:51 PM, Herbert Graeber <hgraeber@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not "forcing", "suggesting" is the better term.

Do not overestimate, what fate#306967 is about.

Why not let the user make that choice? Why do need to suggest anything? Is the
fear that one desktop will overtake another by not suggesting a desktop? I just
don't understand why we are suggesting anything. If we truly support both
desktops then either install them both and give the user a better option for
seeing the difference between the two or let the user make the choice.

It has been said in earlier threads that the reason for doing this is so that
we have more of a user experience like Ubuntu. But Ubuntu has one desktop that
they officially support. We don't. That isn't a bad thing, I think it is a good
thing. But if we want less screens or choices for a new user, I don't see how
suggesting one desktop over an equally supported desktop is an answer to that
problem. We are essentially saying that the selected desktop is the suggested
or preferred desktop.

Joe