Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:46:27 +0100
Joe Harmon wrote:

I would say that they wouldn't know what the selection would give them, not
that they wouldn't care. How do we know which one they would or would not
prefer? Selecting a default is not solving that problem, it is forcing a
choice upon them.

Joe

I agree.

That is kind of my point; if the benefit of forcing a choice is not
large enough (measured via increased take up) then do not do it.

Many people are guessing that a default DE choice in combination with a
default install process will increase the number of newbs opensuse will
accumulate, thus growing the userbase. I think they are right, but it is
not proven.
In short we would be following the Ubuntu model, which is a pretty
successful model, but how much of that success derives from a reputation
(reinforced by install experience) for ease of use.