Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:33:38 +0100
Joe Harmon wrote:
if an [easy] default is a desirable feature, then the most popular
desktop is the logical choice.

this to be implemented with the understanding that opensuse 'supports'
both Gnome and KDE equally.

But I think this is the argument. Some feel that by selecting a default that
we are setting a precedence that one is preferred over the other by the
community and thus giving the impression that they are not supported equally.

Joe

To that I would respond:

The new users that we are trying to attract* wouldn't care, they just
want an option that is as easy as ubuntu manage (read: install because
they will equate one with the other)

Distro-hoppers would know:
that opensuse provides equal support for both Gnome and KDE
Novell is comitted to Gnome as a result of its commercial suse products.

If a newb-friendly default is TRULY valuable then the inconvenience of
no longer being the Mahatma Ghandi of distro's will be worth it.

* why are only 5% of users linux newbs, is it because ubuntu hoovers
them up with its newb-friendly experience?