  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:27:16 -0500
Well, my two cents, even if it is sort of OT. OpenSUSE success depends
on other, a lot more important factors than pre-selecting a button or
deciding the order of the DE's.

OpenSUSE loses users not because we do not have a default. That is being
simply blind: it means someone is not seeing what went on in these
years, and brings the attention to the wrong problem. We lose users
because, to make some example:

- openSUSE released with alternating quality too often (read .1 release
absolutely broken)

- bugs are not timely fixed or not fixed at all, even when reports
contain references to fixes sometime, and the responsibility of this is
discharged on the community, for whatever reason ("Fix it" or "do it" is
becoming an abused motto)

- there are rough relationships between contributors and developers. See
bugzilla, where stubborness is very abundant also on simple topics.

- there are inconsistent statements and no focus. With this I mean focus
on what openSUSE, as a whole, wants to be, and not focus on a particular
environment. That discussion was started by you and Joe, and abandoned
suddenly because "not so important". Another message of inconsistency,
which just tires contributors and pushes them elsewhere.

Whatever will be the decision about the desktop default, it will have
little or no influence on openSUSE success, simply because the
statements at its root are unfounded. One result was already obtained
though: it showed how divided this community is, and on a topic someone
gave for dead, as it should be, long ago.

Best,
A.